Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Jonas Gustavsson makes debut for Bruins in net


It's an evening of debuts for the Bruins tonight against the Colorado Avalanche at the Pepsi Center as they try to notch their first win of the season.
Goalie Jonas Gustavsson made his first start as a Bruin, while Ty Randell and  Tommy Cross made their NHL debuts.
Despite Tuukka Rask's struggles in the Bruins' loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, coach Claude Julien said the fact that Gustavsson is getting the start here was predetermined.
“I think he deserves a start at some point. Our initial thought process was that, no matter what the outcomes were going to be, he was probably going to play here, so we're sticking with that,” Julien said before the game.
Gustavsson is glad he didn't have to wait too long to get the start, but he's trying not to put too much on himself, given the B's 0-3 start.
“Obviously you want to get out and play. That's why you play hockey. It's a lot of fun," said Gustavsson, who won his only career start against the Avalanche. "But you just have to make sure you're ready when it's your time. It doesn't matter if it's a few weeks or a few days. You have to find a way to get ready physically and mentally and I feel I've done that.
“We can only play one game at a time. It doesn't matter if you in or lose, you have to have the same mentality to every game and do whatever you can to win. Not to put too much pressure on yourself, but still be ready for the assignment and do what you can. So it's not going to change tonight because we lost a few games. I'm gong to go out, play with confidence and try and get a win.”
Cross was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft, but knee injuries have hampered his development. He was one of the last cuts in camp, and now he's the first call-up. The 26-year-old Cross spent four years at Boston College and is now in his fourth professional season.
“We've seen a lot of guys who have spent more than a couple of weeks or a couple of months in the AHL come and have great success,” said Julien. “With the kind of injuries he's had with those knee issues, he's had to kind of re-establish the kind of game that he wants to play. It's unfortunate because he had such a bright future in the direction he was going in until that set him back. But he's caught up a little bit here and he's given himself a chance to play in the NHL again. We'll see how he fares tonight.”
Cross was called up on Tuesday after Joe Morrow was placed on the IR with the flu.
“I was on the ice in Providence and it was like 11:30. I rushed off and they said, 'The flight leaves from Hanscom at 1 o'clock,'” said Cross. “It was kind of a fluster. I hopped in the shower and hopped out, went home, grabbed some stuff, didn't even know what I packed. Of course, there was traffic on the way up. But it was good. I was excited. I was smiling the whole time.”
Randell and Cross were roommates last year in Providence, Cross was in Randell's wedding last summer and the two signed their extensions with the Bruins on the same day.
It's only fitting they'd make their NHL debut on the same day.
“I'm a little nervous, but obviously excited,” said Randell. “Watching the last three games was crazy, just being up there knowing I'm a part of the team. In practices I've just been going out there and doing everything I can to crack the lineup and I finally get my opportunity. I'm pretty nervous. It'll be hard to take a pre-game nap, but I'm sure I'll be all right.” ...
Along with Trotman, Max Talbot was a healthy scratch tonight. ...
Brad Marchand (concussion) skated today but remains out. He's day-to-day and could possibly play on Saturday against the Coyotes.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :